Sunday, May 21, 2006

Open-heart surgery

...on my Mom's MP3 CD player. I dropped it at worked yesterday while I was doing some pricing in the back room. I tried to keep my four-letter words to a hush as there were kids wandering around near the door, but my perturbation was hard to contain.
I recalled my Mom's reluctance in lending me her beloved music-player, arguing that I would break it since that is what I am known to do with my possessions... *grimace*
In the end I took it, not really with her approval, but because I took advantage of her love for me.

I didn't actually *break* the CD player to point of it not working, but the latch broke off and consequently, the player wouldn't keep shut. With the help of elastic bands - three to be exact - I've managed to keep it closed and use it like 'normal', but tonight I decided to take matter into my own hands. The CD player was still functioning fine, but the latch had just popped off, and upon shaking it a distinct rattling noise came from within, hinting that a piece had either broken off or just come loose. I was hoping for the latter.
So with small screwdriver in hand, I removed the four screws holding the discman together, cringing at the thought that I would be doing more harm than good. A strange piece of black plastic fell out, which I deduced to be the cause of the aforementioned rattling noise. Upon close inspection of the player (which couldn't be fully opened), I found a thin slot where the Black Plastic Piece could potentially fit. However, because the discman wouldn't open all the way, getting the magic piece in there proved difficult. On several attempts, it appeared that I had achieved success, but the stupid piece would dislodge and fall back into the dark chasm of the discman's insides. My poor thumb was also getting sore from being jammed in between the opening to keep it open.

But then...a lightbulb!

I took the butt-end of the screwdriver and used it in place of my thumb, then took another small screwdriver to gently push in the Black Plastic Piece once I had it halfway in. And...Success!
I took the latch, hooked it back onto the discman, and proudly shut it.

I -- am -- a -- genius.

Well not really - but I have indeed spared myself from having to tell my Mom about the mishap and have her strangle me.
Phew.

Ear Candy: *Jaws Theme Swimming* -- Brand New

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home