Thursday, November 16, 2006

Hello: Moldy Blog

So it's been four months since I've posted in here - how typical of me.
I don't know why I have such a hard time keeping my blog up to date. I suspect it has a lot to do with the fact that my real, paper journal gets priority when it comes time to express my thoughts and feelings. And so by the time I finish pouring my heart out into its pages, I just don't have much more to give to the internet world. The main advantage of having an online blog is that I can incorporate photos and share them with the world - not that anyone actually reads this though. *shrugs* I guess that's another reason why I don't feel too inspired to be consistent with this: I don't have an audience! I know that I am solely to blame for that seeing as how I have not given this address out, but then I'd feel pressured to be interesting or something once I did. Ha, what a silly situation.

Anyway, what to say?! Summer's over - my job at the playground was grande and now I've
been back in school for two and a half months. I can't believe this semester is going to be over in just a few short weeks. I've had a relaxing semester compared to most people I know, and I don't feel too guilty about it. Why should I? Life's too short to spend all your time dedicated to school, stressed out and feeling like you're not doing what you want. This mentality will probably come back to haunt me later, but right now I'm loving the freedom I have had the past few months. I've met quite a few new people (friends of friends) and have actually been able to develop them into friendships! So strange to feel like I actually have a social life when last year I felt like I didn't meet anybody, and spent the majority of my time studying and working. Boo to not having fun!!
I must admit that I probably went out too much for my own
good (and for my wallet's good) in September and the first half of October - most of the money spent on alcohol-infused events, but I can't say I regret it. I've also had a ridiculous amount of sushi in the past two months, going for all-you-can-eat extravaganzas at least once a week (so there have been weeks where I've gone twice), every week. Yes, I am a little sushi obsessed... but the great thing (or is it a curse?) is that I can always find a group of people to indulge in this guilty pleasure with me. There was even one time that a couple of my friends and I had a Chopped Scallop Cone Challenge. The story behind this? Well, the week prior to our challenge we had gone out for all-you-can-eat and had each eaten about five of these cones. Now, for those of you who are familiar with sushi, these cones aren't small and fill you up pretty quickly. We started wondering aloud how many we could probably cram in in one one all-you-can-eat sesh, and eventually the number ten was the magical number we had to achieve. Sooo, next week we went back for more, revved up and confident of our Chopped Scallop Cone eating abilities. The first five went down smoothly, and even when we went upwards into the unchartered territory of six we were feeling okay. However, at number seven I think we all felt the rice suddenly expand in our stomachs and knew it would not be a pretty scene at the end of it all. Now, the three of us are all of different body sizes, Lauren being the smallest at about 5'1" or so (sorry lauren if you ever read this and I am way off!). As you can see in the picture to the right, she wasn't faring very well at cone #10. I had a bit of trouble as well but I guess cuz I'm bigger, it wasn't as painful. Anyway, we all did eventually complete the challenge, along with eating other all-you-can-eat items. Lauren suffered from a sushi hangover the next day (no lies!) I guess it just isn't a good idea to try and cram so much food into your body in one sitting. Who would have thunk it? :P And you would have thought that we all would have been turned off from these cones for a long time, but I went back for all-you-can-eat the following week and had a few more. There must be something wrong with me.
Anyway, i didn't expect to go off on such a long speel about my sushi obsession, but there you are. Other things to note?
  • At the beginning of this semester I had it in my mind that I was done my Undergrad in December. Unfortunately however, it turns out I have three more courses I must do as pre-reqs to get into the Education program, so it looks like I'll be back at UBC in January. I don't mind being at school and doing schoolwork (it's all i've really known for sixteen years now), but it does screw with what I had originally hoped to be doing from January to May - (working full time to save up for summer travelling, and getting volunteer experience at schools)
  • Claudia's back in the dating scene after a two year hiatus! Yeah, crazy stuff. I feel pretty rusty and shakey, but I'm hanging in there. The special boy - whom I will refer to as DJ Whitenoise - is a great guy. Easy-going, fun, and sweet. He's super busy with school though, which is a bummer because we don't get a lot of quality time to hang out and talk, but I hope we can get around this barrier. Relationships are rarely stable with me - mainly because I am not stable in them. I tend to overanalyze everything and consequently psych myself out, though sometimes I wonder if this is just a defense mechanism I have developed over the years. Still though, it becomes a tug-of-war in my head - something screaming at me to back away and something else telling me to wait it out and give it a chance.
    Oh single life - how simple and stable it was for me. I sometimes feel tempted to take the easy way out and just go back to my single, independent, and comfortable life... but it's definitely been nice to find someone I care about and feel cared about in return. I've almost forgotten what it's like to find comfort in someone's arms.

Alright, this has been a long enough entry. Don't hold your breath for consistent updates though. It's extremely rare for me to be devoted to my online blogs. Til next time - whenever that is...

Ear Candy: *Soaked* --Pinback