Saturday, July 05, 2008

Perilous

Love could definitely be considered a peril - a peril, by definition, being "something that causes or may cause injury, loss, or destruction". Of course, some may say this is the pessimistic way of looking at it, but I'd say it is the more realistic approach.
I'd love to think that 'true' love is unconditional and that 'love conquers all', but lately, I have not been feeling so sure.
Yes, I am in an amazing relationship with someone who treats me incredibly well and whom I am extremely compatible with. And Yes, I believe that our relationship is strong and that we could be together for the rest of our lives. However, I also know that life can throw curveballs at you and that things do not always work out as you hope or plan.
You see, mister lovah lovah man is going away in ten days. He was offered a spectacular job somewhere other than here, and he has accepted it. I am definitely happy for him and this amazing opportunity, as this job will not only pay him well and help him get out of debt quickly, but it will further his career and give him valuable knowledge and experience. So yes, I'm super happy for him, but I'm obviously not happy for us because he's going to be away for most of the summer, and for pretty much the rest of the year. The silver lining about this job (besides all the benefits for him), is that he is flown back by the company every three weeks. This means that I'll get to see him for a week out of every month. (I can sense sympathy levels dropping very quickly right about now...)
Ok, ok - I *know* things could be worse and that our situation isn't *that bad*, but it still sucks. I don't doubt that we'll make it through this - I just wish we didn't have to.
I suppose this all makes Long Distance the bigger peril - not love. However, I would say love is still pertinent because if we didn't love each other, being in a long distance relationship wouldn't be as worrisome or as much of a threat. It's not that I worry about things such as unfaithfulness, or communication - I worry about how I will personally handle the feelings that come with being away from someone you adore and love spending time with. I tend to shrink away from things/situations that hurt me, and though I know he won't hurt me directly, the distance definitely will.
Anyway, we'll see how it goes. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? Right?!?!

Let's hope that that is true in our case.


Ear Candy: *Constant Knot* --City and Colour

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home